'Sirocco' ... refers to a dry desert wind ...
Loading Sirocco ...
Seasons - Spring
The snow is finally starting to melt, and the foothills are making their reappearance. Kamloops in the springtime has a lot to offer! As the snow is slowly exchanged for rain and the days get gradually warmer you will be itching to get back outside! Over the course of the winter much of your landscaping has gone dormant. It has stopped growing and is eager to begin another growing season. Over the course of the coming months you will have to put in some hard work to help them through yet another summer of extreme temperatures!
Spring is your chance to get back out there and remember what it feels like to get your hands dirty! During the spring months, from around March to May, there are several lawn care tasks to put on your to-do list. For example:
- Once the snow has melted, start by tidying up your yard, rake away excess leaves and debris, and take stock of what might not have made it through the winter.
- Carry out a soil test, if your soil hasn’t been tested in the past 3-5 years. Ensuring your soil is at the right pH will help your landscaping immensely.
- Take your lawnmower in for a tune-up. Sharp blades will dramatically improve your lawnmower’s performance and improve the quality of each mowing.
- Mow your lawn for the first time this year. Make sure that you don’t cut too short!
- Have your lawn dethatched if the thatch is more than 2cm deep.
- Apply a spring fertilizer that contains lots of Nitrogen!
- Overseed as necessary
- Other tasks include: aerating your lawn, clearing out the gardens, tackling weeds, mulching beds and trees, and pruning the shrubs and fruit trees.
Spring is also the perfect time to start planning any landscaping renovations you have in mind for the summer! When dreaming up your softscaping, xeriscaping, or landscaping project bear in mind that plants designed for Zone 3 through Zone 6 thrive in Kamloops’ unique climate. Sirocco Landscapes can help you design, install, and maintain landscaping projects of all shapes and sizes! Browse our gallery for some inspiration!
Summers in Kamloops are as dramatic as they are beautiful. With temperatures reaching the high ...View Season
Fall in Kamloops is an opportunity to catch a break from the stifling heat that ...View Season
Winter at last! It’s time to hit the slopes and enjoy the holidays with your ...View Season